Sunday, October 26, 2008

Today In History - October 26, 1965

Queen Elizabeth II, to whom I swore allegiance when I became a Canadian citizen, awarded The Beatles the MBE, Member of the Order of the British Empire.

There's little I can add to the vast history of The Beatles, other than to say I have two personal stories tangentially related to The Fab Four: I once talked to George Harrison in his underwear (he was wearing it, not me; I was fully dressed) and, believe it or not, I was at the creation of the infamous Paul Is Dead rumour.

Watch The Beatles' "All You Need Is Love," which has two dual claims to fame:

1). It was performed live, to prerecorded backing tracks, in the very first global broadcast, linking countries around the world by satellite for the first time;
2). It was the first song in 7/4 time to hit the Top 20 (it debuted at Number One). The only other song in the same time signature to make the Top 20 was Pink Floyd's "Money."


Keep your veyes out for Mick Jagger, Gary Leeds, Keith Richards, Marianne Faithfull, Eric Clapton, Jane Asher, Patti Harrison, Mike McCartney, Keith Moon, Graham Nash, Hunter Davies who are doing backing vocals on the choruses and handclaps throughout.



With all my love,
Aunty Em

No comments: